An extract from the book ‘In search of Good Governance’,
which can be downloaded free at this link –
Download the book here
- Candidate applications should be submitted a year before election/selection.
- A team should work on scrutinising the applications, and interviewing relevant people and entities for verification of factual information. The reviewing team should come from a different province, so that manipulation or undue prejudice from people who know the candidate is minimised.
- Reviewers should visit the village or town or district where the person grew up.
- It is recommended that ten people do the research on one person, to counter check results, and avoid personal prejudice.
SUMMARY OF PROCESS TO DETERMINE QUALIFICATION FOR LEADERSHIP
1) Verification of Factual Information
- Check qualifications
- Check for experience and skills levels
- Check for criminal record
- Check Personality type
2) Character Assessment
(Information secured must be assessed with the leadership indicators in mind)
Visit the family of the candidate:
- Is the spouse fully supportive?
- Is there harmony, discipline, mutual respect in the home?
- Have any of the family members broken the law?
- Are there any complaints about the candidate’s behaviour by any of their family members?
Get testimonials from at least five but preferably all of the following:
- Previous employer
- Work colleagues
- Spiritual leader
3) Interview with Guardian Council / Council of Elders
These elders may be recognised leaders in the community such as or religious leaders, kings and/or princes of various groups, business leaders in the field in which the Candidate wishes to serve, or elderly retired people with a track record of honourable service to the community or the nation. The council of elders should comprise a cross section of people representing as wide a spread of languages, cultures, beliefs, genders and races as possible.
4) Leadership Assessment Questionnaires 1 & 2
For More on this – Click here.
Practical Candidate Interview
LEADER SELECTION | Values (wixsite.com)